I am a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) with over 22 years of professional IT experience in software development, systems administration, and project management. In the last ten+ years I have written software in C#. I have more than eighteen years experience creating databases, queries, and stored procedures with MS SQL. My expertise spans the full software development life-cycle; requirements collection, proposal writing, systems architecture, class development and database development. I am a positive and outgoing professional who enjoys solving problems.
Certifications & Badges
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer, Web Applications, Charter Member Certificate
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Web Applications Badge
- Exam 486 - Developing ASP.net MVC Web Applications Badge
- Exam 487 - Developing Microsoft Azure and Web Services Badge
- MikroTik Certified Network Associate (MTCNA) Certificate
- Member of an International software development team with members in the UK and The Netherlands.
- Lead the architecture team to develop a web based application when the team wanted to develop a Windows Forms application.
- Wrote MS SQL and MySQL database backup, restore and transport software to automate the creation of a worldwide data warehouse of flight data.
- Integrated hardware and software for a custom flight simulator to train commercial pilots.
- Trained and certified to setup and operate a satellite communications network system for disaster response.
- Travelled to remote bases in Indonesia to evaluate software needs. Attended team meetings in Europe. Worked on systems in Haiti.
- Hackathon challenge lead for three hackathons including Hack4Missions at Urbana 15 and two international events.
- Worked with remote airbases around the world to troubleshoot software, hardware, and network problems.
- Mentored interns and fellow employees on Linux and Windows systems.
- Built and assembled several Linux servers to provide a large variety of services.
- Responded to a need for satellite communication services in St Maarten after hurricane Irma.
Chief Technology Officer and Business Partner
- Created the profitability plan and developed the business plan.
- Installed and administered a Linux server that runs Sugar CRM, the company website, and e-mail server.
- Recruited and managed a 5 person, international team of developers.
- Review code and provide feedback to developers.
Senior Programmer Analyst
- Worked remotely at home in Boise for this California company. Self motivated.
- Took the initiative to create labor saving C# applications that improved the handling of digital patient records.
- Saved company tens of thousands of dollars each year in licensing fees by proposing and creating a Web 2.0 read-only interface for the Laserfiche document storage system.
- Developed C# web services and C# web service clients to pass HIPAA data securely from government, insurance, hospital and partner servers and locations.
- Designed and lead a team in developing a C# service to automate electronic document handling.
- Designed C# Windows forms applications that import, manipulate, verify and export millions of dollars worth of billing data.
- Designed and developed a complete Productivity Tracking C# MVC application from SQL tables to HTML web interface using JQuery for dynamic Web 2.0 data interactions.
Chief Technology Officer and Business Partner
- Clients include Adobe Systems Inc., Swype Inc., and Cambridge Cognition.
- Developed a system that collects millions of words from targeted sources and compile them into word frequency lists for different languages and regions.
- Planned and implemented online marketing plan.
- Built and maintained a Linux server that ran Sugar CRM, VPN , file sharing, and other services.
- Hire and manage developers to create internal applications.
- Rewrote an C# TCP socket server with threading and better buffering so that Datablaze cellular devices could report twice the data per connection.
- Proposed and developed an C# automated serial testing application for cellular modems and SIM cards.
- Maintained and improved a web interface for cellular data collection hardware.
- Developed JS interfaces for Google Earth and Virtual Earth so that the Datablaze web interface could use either mapping system with the same commands.
- Developed a C# KML generator script that dynamically exports map data to Google Earth.
- Added features to C# windows forms applications, including a very flexible file import routine.
- Developed C# web services and applications that consumed the web services.
- Developed an VB.NET employee time accounting application that interfaces with other applications in the ERP suite. The application was written in OO VB.NET with MS SQL as persistent storage to provide managers with the ability to intelligently review and modify their employees' time records in an easy to use interface. Application used a business rules system to detect errors, and possible problems.
- Developed an VB.NET sales analysis tool that allows the sales team to analyze potential sales. It was developed in Object Oriented VB.NET with multiple MS SQL data sources. The application retrieves data from several different data sources to provide the user with a variety of choices and data. When the user has completed a scenario, they can save the data, print a report, or open the data in a bid management application that I also wrote.
- Developed an VB.NET production line accounting system that included hardware counters to record the efficiency of the can labeling and packaging manufacturing line. This application reduced the amount of user input by retrieving data from several other databases. By reducing user input, I was able to reduce errors, increase efficiency, and move the data entry duties to the manufacturing line.
- Developed an VB.NET Point of Sale (POS) system for the company store. This POS interfaced with the employee benefits system to allow employees to purchase canned vegetables with a pre-tax savings account.
- Maintained a complex VB6 set of application that tracks grower information. Wrote a proposal to re-build the system using OO principals so that the system would be more accurate and simpler to maintain.
- Mentored team co-workers on Object Oriented design, stored procedures, security practices, and general VB.NET issues.
Chief Website Administrator
- Worked with a team to build word lists, databases, and dictionaries based on customers needs. One of the word list collection methods I developed earned half of the yearly income for this startup in only three months.
- Developed and conducted academic research about a software product (SmartWords) I invented that was marketed to major educational textbook publishers.
- Managed, updated, and redesigned two commercial websites.
- Developed applets in Java.
- Took part in sales meetings with potential clients to explain the technical aspects of products and services.
- Developed an VB.NET internal website for the Wyoming State Chemical Lab to track their testing samples. This web application accepted data entry, printed barcode labels, uploaded information to the testing equipment, downloaded results from the testing equipment, read and wrote to a MS SQL database, and printed detailed reports. The test results were used in court as evidence, necessitating high data validity.
- Developed an VB.NET database reporting system for College of Education faculty and administrator use. Consulted with the Dean of Education and nine Department Chairs to develop the reporting system to meet their specifications.
- Developed dynamic database driven VB.NET educational websites for several grant programs.
- Supported approximately 20 graduate student, faculty, and administrative users in the Science and Mathematics Teaching Center.
- Developed an VB.NET content management system for the Science and Mathematics Teaching Center website so that the administrative staff could easily update the website.
- Administered a MS Windows 2000 Web and a MS SQL server.
Manager of Internet Advertising
- Built and managed an Internet Advertising Department. Developed SOP and training guides.
- Instructed and coordinated a sales force.
- Developed an accounting and customer support system written in Classic ASP.
- Orchestrated the delivery of contracted items, and managed multi-million dollar contracts.
- Attended sales meetings to explain technical products.
- Developed new advertising technology and software. One patent.
Educational Software Developer
- Developed five educational software titles for children in Macromedia Director.
- Created animated characters, and their dialog.
- Created educational games that re-enforced the main concepts of the application.
- Software is still for sale by the School Company.
Instructor, Website Developer, Computer Lab Manager, and Database Developer
- Taught night classes on topics including: The Internet, MS Word, MS Excel, Computers for Beginners, and custom classes for local businesses.
- Developed websites for Bliss Computers and customers.
- Managed a PC and MAC lab with a total of 20 computers. The lab also had access to color production printers that I supported.
- Developed databases for a variety of customers. This included developing a database of voters in Wyoming compiled from a variety of sources. These databases were developed in MS FoxPro and MS Access.
Assistant User Support Specialist
- Supported users in the President's Office, and the Police Department. Was trusted to have the President's password and full access to his office when he was not in a meeting.
- Installed network cabling for the Campus Police Annex Building.
- Repaired hardware and software problems.
- Trained users.
- Managed licensing of SPSS and other statistical packages.
- Youngest Systems Administrator on Capitol Hill at the time.
- Managed the upgrade of the office computer system from a Unix terminal system to a MS Windows 3.11 system.
- Trained users on GUI and correspondence management system.
- Administered MS Windows NT server, 15 desktop computers and several laptops.
- Managed RSA VPN dynamic password cards for remote access to the US House of Representatives network.
- Repaired hardware and software problems.
Hack4Missions at Urbana 15
Basic Satcom Professional Certification
MikroTik Certified Network Associate (MTCNA)
Boise Code Camp
MCSD Web Applications Training
University of Wyoming
Amateur (Ham) Radio
- Volunteer emergency radio operator for the Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security.
- Provide communications for various charity events.
- Digital communication modes over HF, VHF, and UHF radio frequencies.
- Portable HF radio work in remote locations using solar power and low power output radios (QRP).
- Presentations: “E-Mail Via Radio” (April, 2012), “Prepared For Anything, Emergency Communications Outdoors” (April, 2012), and “Digital Communications using FLDIGI” (June, 2012).
- Re-elected unanimously as President of the Board of Directors.
- Plan and run efficient, agenda-driven meetings.
- Reduced meeting time from several hours to less than an hour.
- Motivate and coordinate volunteers.
- Develop and manage yearly 5-figure budget.
- Use consensus and community building skills to develop positive, efficient, and productive Board of Directors and Home Owners Association.
- Managed contractors and volunteers to work together on large projects.